Monday, May 11, 2009

To Charleston and Back - in a day!

Friday I had the extreme pleasure of going with Taylor on a day-long field trip to Charleston.  I say that in all seriousness because even though we left at 5:45 a.m. and I didn't sleep the night before for fear my alarm wouldn't go off; and even though I rode on a bus with 50 loud fifth graders; and even though it was really hot down there; and even though the 3 1/2 hour bus ride back felt like 10 hours - he was excited that I went with him - so I was, too!

We left bright and early, or actually I should say dark and early.  On the way down we stopped once at a rest stop and then got back on the road.  Here is my friend Shannon and I at the rest stop.



and here is Taylor and a friend in the back seat of the bus:


The bus ride down was great.  I sat with a few other moms (and dads) and we just talked the whole way.  I was a little nervous about it because I don't like not being able to stop, if I want to, but it went by really fast. We got to Charleston and went straight to the U.S.S. Yorktown, an aircraft carrier.  Though it was hot inside the ship in certain places (outside, too) I really enjoyed it.  We even went on a submarine which was very interesting.  First, I was proud of myself that I even went on it.  My claustrophobia usually prevents stuff like that.  Second, I cannot even begin to fathom spending more than 5 minutes on that thing, much less living on it.  It was crazy!  I wish we would have had more time on the carrier - we pretty much rushed through it.
Here is Taylor's class on the deck of the U.S.S Yorktown:

After that we ate a Chick-fil-A boxed lunch on the bus and then headed to a museum.  I am not sure which one it was.  The kids did a Civil War scavenger hunt while they were there. Everyone agreed that the museum was probably not our favorite part and could have been left off the tour.

From the museum we headed over to take a carriage ride.  That was a lot of fun.  We toured for about 45 minutes and saw some really pretty homes, churches and heard some interesting historical tidbits along the way. Here is Taylor and some friends on the carriage:

After the carriage ride we headed straight to the market.  Of course the kids loved this.  They all had a little spending money that was burning a hole in their pocket.  Taylor ended up buying candy, ice cream and a Charleston hat.  

From the market we got back on the buses and headed home.  We stopped at a Wendy's on the way back. I am sure the kids drank soda there, and coupled with the candy and sugar they had had throughout the day, they were a little wired for the last two hours. I was dying to get off that bus! 

We got home at about 10 p.m.  I wish we could make it an overnight trip and visit Fort Sumter or a plantation while we are down there.  It was a long day that could be easily broken up into two.  But - we did have a good time and I was glad for the opportunity to go with Taylor on his last lower school field trip.

I am off to the Columbia Zoo this Thursday with second grade.  I get to drive myself on this one!! 


1 comment:

Our Family said...

I'm glad that we went too. Not a bad picture for so early in the morning after being on a bus with a bunch of 5th graders. Glad we could do it together....although we never really got to hang out as planned. Love, Shan