Monday, June 8, 2009

The Saga Continues (among other things!)

Well - we found out today that now we are in. Apparently Mike knew the right strings to pull. Not only are we in, but we are now Toyota's "guests," and we don't even have to pay to be tortured for 26 miles. That seems fair, don't you think? I mean who is stupid enough to pay almost $200 for 4 1/2 hours of agony. Seriously we will be running the New York Marathon on November 1. That is in 145 days. The funny thing is that I had a HORRIBLE run this morning. I set out to run only 3 miles since I am following this training schedule. It was about 10 a.m. and already 78 degrees. It was MISERABLY hot. I could only half run half walk. I ended up alternating between walking and sprinting. Forest, I mean Mike, called it speed training and said that it was perfectly fine to do that. Either way - I felt like I sweated off 10 pounds. After I was done I was very thankful I wasn't going to be training for a marathon in the summer, and then what do you know - I got the e-mail. So - from here on out I am doing this for real and will need all the prayer I can get!

Moving on now - right before school got out we celebrated Taylor's fifth grade promotion at school. I can't believe he is moving into middle school. Here are pictures of him on his first and last days in lower school.




He is so ready to go to middle school. When I asked him what he is happiest to leave behind in lower school he said he is happy that he won't be bored anymore. I am not quite sure what that means - I think he is just done with not having a little freedom and flexibility in his schedule. You know - having to walk in a line to lunch and sit in a certain spot. Even though he doesn't go straight to having off-campus lunch - he enjoyed getting to make a few choices when it came time to picking electives for next year.

I just can't believe it is here already, but I am happy because he is excited. Here are a few pictures of him with some friends after the promotion ceremony.







Here is Taylor with his kindergarten teacher. Although she has been a teacher for a while, Taylor was in her first class at Charlotte Christian. We LOVE her!



I am loving summer. Since school got out almost 2 weeks ago - we have already been on a family vacation. That will be my post tomorrow - Hilton Head with the Burches! Stay tuned.....

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Wow!! You can do it....I had a feeling that Mike would get the two of you in the marathon again. I'm proud of you for trying! :)

Sherri said...

You are going to do great Kelley! So proud of you. Great pictures too. I can't believe how fast our children grow up.

Melissa said...

I am praying for you Kelley. You inspire me to keep running. I ran inside in the AC today as I got a late start and it was much more enjoyable although I did still pour sweat from everywhere! My cousin started running at 42 and has completed several marathons, her advice to me about running was "Don't Stop" Easier said than done.
Children grow up too fast. Where does the time go?????
Love the countdown ticker you posted! I'll be cheering you on!!!

Anne G. said...

think icy ,cool glaciers as you run ! Thanks for the great picturesof Taylor's journey.Middle school.....he may be ready, but are we???