I am "officially" in training for the New York Marathon. This is week 2 of my 18-week training program. I am using a basic/beginner program that is on the marathon's website. Everything up until last week was just trying to get to a "base" level of running. The base level was a five-day schedule of two 3-mile runs, two 4-mile runs and a 6-mile run. Last week I had to bump the 6-mile run to 8 miles. It was hard but not horrible. This week the 3-mile runs become 4-mile runs and the rest stays the same. Then next week my 8-mile run becomes a 10-mile run - along with the 4-milers. Most weeks I will run five days with two off days, but there are a few weeks with six running days.
I am having to be flexible with which days I run. It all centers of course around which day I can do my long run. That usually depends on when I can get a little extra time away from the kids/childcare and if I can find a partner. That is key for me, because I push myself a little harder with a partner. Last Thursday my friend Kristi ran 8 miles with me at the greenway by Trader Joes. My previous 8-miler was with Mike in California. After the awesome conditions there, I teased him that we needed to fly somewhere every week for the long run.
I wish I could say it is getting easier. I mean - I guess it is easier to run 3 or 4 miles than it used to be, but it is still very hard at times. I am definitely feeling aches and pains. My knees are sore most of the time except when I am running which I count as a blessing. I have been experiencing a few highs and lows which I will share below:
HIGHS:
* 8-mile run in Sonoma, CA. - AWESOME - Not even that hard. Flat, cool & BEAUTIFUL to look at.
* Cute, cheap running clothes at Target - no matter what Mike says - fashion is important!
* Running with Mike - I am enjoying that time with him.
* Feeling physically stronger
LOWS:
* Running in Charlotte's humidity - 3 miles can even kick my tail if the humidity is really high
* Knee pain especially when I sleep
* Blisters - enough said
EVERY time I run I ask myself what I am doing. I guess I feel like I can do anything for a short time. I also want to prove to myself that I can do something I don't think I can do. I am still relying on God, who got me into this, to get me through it!
Also - I am still holding the "walking" card in my pocket and am most likely going to play it on the 10-miler next week. I have been checking out the Jeff Galloway marathon method which incorporates ALOT of walking. His theory is if you run faster when you run and then allow your body/muscles to have short rests - you are no slower than if you run the whole thing. That is a very loose paraphrase but you get the gist.
So - if you see a girl on Providence or Alexander or 51 (my usual routes) who is wearing running attire but appears to be staggering, you might want to pull over and offer her a ride. She could use it!
Best Song
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment