Monday, August 10, 2009

Summer is OVER

I am going back to work in one hour and 15 minutes. Actually I am only working for about 30 minutes today, but tomorrow I will be there all day. I always have mixed emotions about this. It is exciting seeing everyone at work and being a part of the school community, but it also means the days of freedom are over. I am trying to think of some fun things to do this week for my kids, especially some fun way to celebrate Taylor starting middle school next Monday, but the creative juices are not flowing. Any suggestions, anyone?

On the housing front, we have had a lot of showings. For that I am thankful. It seems like people like the house, but for some reason it isn't the right one for them. One couple chose somthing smaller and closer in town and one couple liked the house but not the lot. That is okay with me, it only takes one person, and we are prepared to be in this for a while. Keeping it clean has been relatively easy. My family has done a pretty good job of helping on this front. It should be even easier once school starts.

Marathon training. Well, where do I begin? Mike and I ran 13 miles once and 10 miles twice. The 13-miler was an ADVENTURE. We started at the greenway too late in the day and were still running when the sun went down (and when the thiunder and lightning started). The greenway isn't the safest place to be at night and we found that out. There were a few sketchy characters whose actions caused us to ditch the greenway and duck into a backyard. Unfortunately when we did that we didn't know where we were and had to find our way out of a neighborhood. We ended up on Carmel Rd on the other side of Johnston Rd. There were no sidewalks and it was pouring down rain & thunder & lightning. After we survived the scary men I was sure we were going to get hit by a car or struck by lightning. We finally found sidewalks and continued (after one phone call to my brother to maybe come pick us up) to the end. My adrenaline definitely kicked in which took my mind off some of my physical misery. One of the lessons I learned was that iPhones do you no good when you are soaking wet and can't dry off your finger tips!!!!

This week we run 15 miles. It still makes me laugh when I think about what I am doing. It is so hard and yet we are doing it. I am so thankful that God has given me the strength (both mental and physical) to keep this up. This is week 7 of the 18 week program so we are almost halfway there. I am praying my knees and feet/ankles will hold up, because they are definitely giving me trouble. I am also interested to see how going back to work impacts my training.

No comments: