Thursday, May 14, 2009

I Need All the Help I Can Get

Here is my Mother's Day present, my new $100 running shoes:


I would never spend that much money on a pair of running shoes which is why I asked for them for Mother's Day. Mike, who has run five marathons, assures me a properly fitting show is crucial to running success. For this much money I expect to set a world record in the marathon. Seriously, though, I knew I wanted to spend that much money the first time because I bought them at Run For Your Life where they watch you run and then find a shoe that is specific to the way you move. Apparently, I am a pronator which means I run/walk with the outside of my foot hitting the ground first then rolling inward.

I got them on Wednesday and told Mike that I was going that day. His last words to me as he walked out the door were, "Remember this isn't a fashion show. The way the shoes feel on your feet is more important than how they look." That was great advice that was actually hard to take.

The first pair of shoes the guy brought out were awesome. They had pink accents and were really cool. Unfortunately, though, they were a little narrow across my "toe bed" as the guy put it. So, they next pair were the ones that I ended up buying. Although they aren't as pretty - they feel great. Now that I have been professionally fitted and know which shoe is right for my foot, I can buy the same shoe online for a cheaper price.

I haven't worn them yet because I had already run on Wednesday when I went, and Thursday is an off day because of work. I can't wait to try them out tomorrow. I am expecting GREAT things. Unfortunately I won't get to run until mid-afternoon since I have to work. It will be hot which will slow me down some, but hopefully the shoes will feel good. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

I laughed at Mike's comment. I totally buy running shoes for the way they look! I will definitely go to Run for your Life the next time I need new shoes. So proud of you for training the way you have been! You are an inspiration!

Donna said...

Yes, I buy tennis shoes for the looks/colors, too!! Yikes!

Thanks for the tip of shoe fitting at Run For Your Life. That's a great Father's Day gift idea!!