Tuesday, July 21, 2009

10 Miles and a Peach Milkshake

I am now in week four of my training for the NYC marathon. I told myself several months ago when I started that the first time I ran 10 miles I was rewarding myself with a Chick-fil-A peach milkshake. I love anything peachy and when I saw them on the menu I wanted one soooo bad. Well - last Thursday night Mike and I ran 10 miles. Believe it or not, it wasn't that bad. My legs were definitely tired but besides that it went pretty well. We finished in 1 hour and 53 minutes. It makes me laugh that I ran for almost 2 hours but I am still not halfway through a marathon. For the 1,000,000,000th time I had to ask myself I what was I thinking!

So anyway - on Friday Claire and I went through the drive through and got my milkshake. IT MADE ME SO SICK!!!!! It definitely tasted good on the way down, but my body isn't used to that rich food and it wasn't long at all before my stomach hurt like crazy! It was so not worth it.

I have decided that after I run 13 miles for the first time I am going to reward myself again - but not with food. This time I am checking into Ballantyne Spa for the day. I have a gift certificate I got for Christmas and I am going to use it for a relaxing massage. My 13-mile run will be next week so definitely in the next few weeks I AM THERE!

I like this reward system thing. 10 and 13 miles seem like pretty big milestones (first time in double digits and a half marathon) but I am not sure after which other long runs I should treat myself. The first 20-mile one seems appropriate. That occurs in week 11 which is the second week of September. Or maybe I should just do monthly massages from here on out! I like that idea.

We are off to the beach on Saturday. I am hoping we can get our 13-miler in there. It might not work without childcare. I think we are going to have to do loops around the entire island of Sunset Beach, so maybe we can just keep running by the house to check on the kids!

Back to the milkshake, the scary thing is that when I made that promise to myself it seemed like it would take forever for me to get to the 10-mile point. Well - now that it has come and gone, I realize that the marathon itself will be here before I know it, too. I want the next few months to go by slowly but I have a feeling they will fly by.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

You are impressive, Kelley! I was wondering about those peach milkshakes. I could probably only eat about two or three sips then I would be done!

I got a gift certificate to the Ballantyne Spa from my class that I still need to use. You'll have to tell me how you like it. I've never had a massage believe it or not! :)

Melissa said...

I haven't tried the peach milkshake, but my sister in law loves them. She can only make it through 1/2 a one though, so they must be rich! I know what you mean about how your body get's used to a certain type of diet. I've been cutting out carbs for a while now and I can't believe how sickenly sweet even a diet soda can taste!
Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

Sherri said...

So proud of you Kelley! The peach milkshake wouldn't do it for me (I'm a chocoholic) but the spa sounds divine! You so deserve it! Keep up the good work!