Monday, April 19, 2010

What a Weekend!

"My cup runneth over..."

This post is a little dated, but I still wanted to get it out there. What a weekend the Burch family had - last weekend. It started off a little auspiciously when Taylor's braces broke and had to be replaced Friday. I wouldn't have rushed to get it fixed, but Taylor was leaving to go on the Blessing Retreat and it was really bothering him. So - I ran around to two separate orthodontist offices before I got it fixed. THEN - I raced back to school to work for an hour before heading to the sixth grade middle ages day at school where I was in charge of the food for 100 kids. I got home in time to get Mike and Taylor off to the Blessing Retreat and then I wanted to CRASH. I was so tired. BUT - the Joy Prom was a few hours away, and I had media phone calls to make.

This is where the fun began. As expected - the Joy Prom was WONDERFUL. I love how one of our pastors said, "The red carpet at Joy Prom is what he imagines heaven will be like." It is so beautiful watching the guests being cheered on by hundreds of cheering teens. They truly feel like princes and princesses for the evening. It is one of my favorite nights of the year.

The next morning I woke up and began to get ready for the bake sale Claire and her friends were having. Her teacher had given her $2 as an investment that would be "multiplied" by performing some sort of fundraiser. They had been so excited about this for such a long time. My friend Nancy and her son Jere participated with us as well as Claire's two friends Camryn and Brynn. The bake sale was a lot of fun and we raised $300 for Samaritan's Purse to benefit the earthquake victims of Haiti.



After the bake sale we were able to relax a little but the fun was just beginning for my boys. The Blessing Retreat at our church is one of the best things we do. It is for sixth graders and their parents - boys go with their dads and girls go with their moms & dads. The weekend away at a conference center in the mountains is full of fun, games, fellowship -and is set aside for preteens and their parents to "pause" and "chart out" spiritual direction to navigate the preteens wisely through their teen years. I had been praying for God to speak to Mike and Taylor and to impact them in a big way and He really did. The weekend culminates in a very special and meaningful time for parents to give their child a "blessing." I can't wait to go with Claire, and I am so thankful for the weekend my boys shared together.

No comments: