We were all walking down the path when my friend's sweet 10-year-old daughter decided to tell me about seeing a snake in the brush next to the raised boardwalk. She, and the rest of her wonderful family, know I hate snakes and they like to tell the story of how I freaked out at the sight of a very real looking rubber snake in their front yard when I was visiting one time. I don't remember if she said the beach snake was big or alive or even what color it was - all I remember is the word snake. I can't even remember if she saw it or someone she knew saw it. Again, all I heard was "snake."
I responded to her that that was all the more reason for me not to look into the brushy, natural area to the left and right of the boardwalk, and that I was going to keep my eyes straight ahead on the narrow path in front of me. AH HA, I thought! That is exactly what we are supposed to do in our walks with Jesus. Matthew 7:14 says, "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it."
I would say that a good majority of the time I am way too fixed on trivial and unimportant things (people.com!) in this world and not fixed nearly enough on God. I spend far too much time doing things without an eternal focus. I know if I keep my eyes on God, my focus will remain clear, my priorities will be what they should be, and I will not be encumbered by the non-important things of this world. Those are the things that take me off the path.
So that is my plan. Keep my eyes on God and walk the narrow path. I am going to try not to be tempted to look to the left or to the right at the things that would distract me from seeking God and following His plan for my life. The benefit? In addition to the glorious riches of growing in my walk with Him, I'll also miss the snakes.
1 comment:
Beutifully written, Kelley. So true.
Post a Comment