Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Rest of the Story

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now, the rest of the story."

First, the good news. We have heat, and we didn't pay full price for it. Mike was able to negotiate the company down a little - not much mind you, but at least it was something. The very friendly man came out and within 15 minutes we were warm again. I feel so spoiled. Yes, it was cold downstairs, but we had a VERY comfortable shelter, more than enough coats and blankets, and a warm place to sleep. We are so blessed.

Now, the bad news. Hermie is no longer with us. Mike buried him this morning before he left for his trip. I did not want to deal with it while he was gone, and even though he didn't "smell" yet, he hadn't moved in four days and again, had no shell. When we got home from school I told Claire. I had a pit in my stomach when school got out knowing I would have to tell her when we got home, but I didn't want to have it hanging over my head. She cried for a minute and is a little sad, but didn't carry on and on. I did not see the drama I was expecting. Maybe when her emotions are real they are displayed on an appropriate level, versus when it is drama for drama's sake.

So - a big shout out to Mike for fixing everything before he left - heat, Hermie, alarm system. You rock! We miss you.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

So glad you have heat Kelley! It's going to get cold this weekend. So sorry about Hermie. It broke my heart to think of sweet Claire crying. Hope you all have an "uneventful" weekend after the week you've had!

Melissa said...

Sorry for your loss. How long do hermit crabs live anyway?
I am sure you are glad to have heat today!