Monday, January 12, 2009

Exercise...

...for my body and soul. Last week I started doing Wii Fit. The rest of my family has done it a lot since we got it a year ago, but I had never tried it. I loved it. I started doing step aerobics first. It was pretty easy, so I was a little worried I wouldn't burn many calories. However, after I had done it a few times, I unlocked a harder/faster step and it was a lot better. I also did the running thing where you run in place. It was so funny because my kids and their friends have made a lot of different Miis, and I would be running and then one of their friends would run right past me. Or, I'd get to the finish line and Mike and Snoopy would be cheering for me. It is hysterical. I also did a lot of the yoga moves and strength and balance exercises. The next day my quad muscles were so sore! I weighed in my first day, so now it is tracking whether or not I lose weight.

Then - today I went to a Zumba class at my church with my posse Nancy, Shannon and Kristi. It was so fun. I definitely didn't feel like I was even exercising - just dancing. Of course, I looked stupid half the time - but it was a GREAT way to burn some calories! I am not taking great pains to lose weight right now, just to exercise more. There is a history of heart disease in my family so I think it is the wise thing to do. Plus - now that I am into my 40th year - AAAGGHH - I really would like to be in better shape.

Now the fitness of the soul part. At the behest of my friend Nancy, I started reading the NLT Chronological Bible. I love it! Just like she said, it feels like I am reading a story. Isn't that what the Bible is anyway - God's love letter to us? I started on about January 5 and it took me no time to get caught up. I have tried before to read the Bible through in a year, but have always fallen off the wagon pretty quickly. The going back and forth between Old and New Testament - Psalms and Proverbs was hard for me, especially when I would get behind. So - anyway - this is soo much easier. I got mine at the Family Christian Store but you can get it at any Christian book store. I honestly cannot see me not finishing it.

No comments: