Sunday, February 8, 2009

Soccer is for Communists

I remember when Mike and I first got married. We would sit around and imagine our children and what they would be like. He grew up playing baseball and basketball just like my brothers played, so that is what we thought our son would play. We mentioned soccer as a possibility, and I will never forget when he said "My son won't play soccer. Soccer is for communists." I know he was kidding (kinda), but little did we know that 17 years later not only would our son (& daughter!) play soccer, but that it would take up half our lives.

We had four soccer games and two basketball games this weekend. Taylor played in a soccer tournament - two games on Sat. and two games on Sun. Every team in their bracket was better than them - some significantly so. The first team we played had beaten us in the fall 2-0. We tied them yesterday 0-0. The second team we had never played before and they beat us 7-0. It was VERY ugly. They were way better than us. Today we played a team that we tied in a pre-season scrimmage. They are supposed to be better than us, but we beat them today 2-0. AFter those three games ( a win, a loss and a tie) we had enough points to move into the tournament final against the team that smoked us yesterday 7-0.

To make it into the tournament final was in itself an accomplishment for our team as we really struggled in the fall. We have only had a few practices since Christmas so expectations were not high going into the championship game against a much better team. Well - to make a long story short, we did really well and only lost 1-0. The other team definitely controlled the game, but our boys fought hard and held the game scoreless until late in the second half. It was a great effort! The boys received medals for finishing in second place. They were thrilled.

Here is a picture of the team with their medals:



I feel like I got nothing done this weekend. I am so thankful, however, for the incredible weather that God blessed us with. It was so nice being outside. I do prefer cold weather in the winter - but this little bit of spring while I was parked outside was AWESOME.

Lastly - a follow-up to our family dinner at Sullivan's. YUM! I am so mad I forgot my camera, but we had a lot of fun. My daughter is a trip. She is 7 and ordered lobster bisque, an 8 oz filet (that came with the wedge salad) and creme brulee. She ate twice as much as me. My kids now say Sullivan's is their favorite restaurant. Who wouldn't say that?? The good news is that we still have some of our gift card left over so now Mike and I can go back for a date night!!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Kelley,

So glad you have a blog! I haven't seen you in forever, so I'm glad to know I have another way to keep in touch with you. Now all you need is Facebook.

We also never thought our son would play soccer. Alas we have sat at many a soccer games bewildered and beguiled as we have absolutely no clue what is going on! We thought our son would have a change of heart after introducing him to football in the fall, but he still insists he wants to play soccer. The one benefit of the sport is it wears him out like no other and he sure does sleep soundly through the night.

Miss you,

Melissa

Nancy said...

We said the same thing about soccer. Congratulations to Taylor!

Melsie- Kelley does have FB; look her up!!

Sherri said...

Hey Kelley!

I am so excited you have a blog! Can't wait to continue to read it. Claire has gotten so big, but she is still cute little Claire! Good to see she has wonderful taste in food at such a young age. Keep blogging!