I went to step/sculpt class at the ROC this morning and got way more than a physical workout. The class could be a whole post in and of itself, especially the part where I fell off the step - but that is a whole other story.
The devotion at the end of class was about having a childlike faith. For some reason I have really stopped to ponder this today. What does that mean? How does that look and manifest itself? How do we go from having that type of faith as children or as a new believer in Christ to becoming more "hardened" as adults.
Children approach things so quizzically and with wide eyes. They believe in and hope for the best. Even when they get hurt by someone they are quick to forgive and forget. They are excited about everything, even the little things. They are not cynical - and probably wouldn't even know how to be.
I think for a while now I have been feeling like I have become way too cynical. I think cynicism and sarcasm are defense mechanisms that are not healthy. I feel like when I act that way it is almost out of a desire to protect myself from something. Life's twists, turns and curve balls are part of the process of moving us into self-protection. There is a lot going on in the world that is scary. People can let you down and plans don't go the way you want them to. We think there is too much to "worry" about which results in not allowing ourselves to get excited about things.
God doesn't desire that we live that way. He wants us to live life full of hope and faith. He doesn't want us to expect the worst to happen or to always be looking for the shoe to drop. I really enjoyed that reminder today in a place where I wasn't looking for it. Thanks, Jenny!!
Best Song
6 years ago
2 comments:
So true Kelley-- thanks for that! My calves are still sore today, and I'm in desperate need of some private step lessons! =)
Beautiful post Kelley. As someone who uses cynicism and sarcasm all the time, I can relate to all you said. The Love Dare book has taught me that I must direct my heart, not have it direct me - no matter what I am struggling with. Thanks for a great reminder of God's desire for us!
Post a Comment